While the big decision has already been made and you are eagerly awaiting the start of your new life in your new home there are a few things you may want to do once you move in. Be sure to share these tips with any new homeowners you may know!
* First things first… change the locks. While the crime rate may be low in the area you still never know who all has a key from the neighbors, old babysitter, in-laws, etc… there may be more keys to your house floating around out there than you would care for.
* Fill out for a change of address. This of course includes filing a change of address form with the post office but also notifying all businesses and contacts of your new address.
* If you are bringing pets to your new home be sure to familiarize yourself with a local veterinarian and a local animal hospital.
* The same goes for your local hospital. It is always wise to know your new surroundings and routes to get there.
* Before moving into your new home make sure you have changed all utilities into your name and had them switched on. Sometimes this can take a day or two and you don’t want to be unpacking in the dark.
* Before your furniture and belongings are moved in it would be a good time to thoroughly clean the house, inside cabinets, under appliances, etc. If there is any hint to an insect issue now would be a good time to bug bomb the house.
* Once you start unpacking this is an ideal time to make a recorded inventory of your valuables. This can be as simple as snapping quick photos of everything.
* Something that can save a headache down the road is going ahead and labeling your breaker box.